Friday, March 9, 2018

Transitions and Change




The transition from middle school to high school can be hard on kids for many reasons.  I have seen many students lose long-term relationships with peers through the years.

Today, one of my students was sobbing in class.  She is an 8th grade student that I have known for years.  I have seen both of them change in varying directions this year and the changes finally reached the point where it became obvious to each of the girls.

They argued.  They blamed each other for changing.  They blamed other people.  They expressed hurt.  They told each other that they were done with each other.  They each went their own ways and sought comfort from friends.  One ultimately sought isolation.  One sought the audience of others to side with them in bashing the other girl.

This transition is rough.  I really don't like that it happens, but it happens and there is not much I can do about it.  For some, it happens in 8th grade. For many it happens in 9th.  Being honest, this transition is rough on me...maybe I am too empathic.

I have found that all I can do or be is there for those going through this.  There are no explanations that I can offer to soften this movement.  I can only be there for my students...care...listen...and offer a smile.

Being a teacher carries so many roles.

Sometimes it means having your heart break for your students.

It always means caring for them.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


1 comment:

  1. This is a great topic. If we can help students learn to transition at an early age so that they will do better when the have that high school to college transition

    ReplyDelete