Sunday, March 11, 2018

Reflecting on Self




As the school year approaches Spring Break, I typically catch myself in the in-between.  I am appreciative of the students that I have watched grow and work so diligently.  I am impressed with their work ethic.  I am proud with their preparedness for National Testing.  I enjoy who they have become.

Meanwhile...

I am thinking about goals for next year.  I am thinking about those students that I know as 6th graders and who they will be as 7th graders.  I am reflecting on what changes I might make in my classroom.  I also reflect on my successes and mis-steps which will determine where I will take my students next year.

What a luxury to have...as a teacher.

What I have found throughout my years as a teacher, and maybe other vocations...is that reflection creates growth.

Reflection allows us to be real with ourselves. It allows us to take a real look in the mirror and note who we are and what we want. It allows us to critique our actions and beliefs as well as to assess our future paths.

I have found that when students are reflective, they have more success.  Some middle school students are ready for this in their lives and others, less mature, are not.  I wish I was able to help students through the process for growth.  I am working on it...

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment