Thursday, March 8, 2018

A Middle School Teacher




I had a chance to talk to a pre-service teacher in our building today.  She was telling me her aspirations, what she would really like to teach, and her motivations.

When I asked her why Middle School wasn't on her list, she looked at me very crookedly.

It's funny.  I have found through the years that there are two types of teachers in the world...my world anyways.

Those who love teaching middle school as if they were made to do it....AND...those that wouldn't teach middle school for tons of money.

Middle School students are so varied.  Their maturity levels, their height, their anxieties, their social lives, their emotional states...they are all over the place.  The students behaviors and emotions change with the wind.

As a middle teacher- you have to be extra.  Extra flexible, extra patient, extra resilient, extra caring...extra everything.  Middle School kids can and will need it all.

I wouldn't trade being a middle school teacher for anything either.  I could not see myself in elementary or high school. Just doesn't fit.  We need to be where we fit.  I am lucky to have found my fit.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites






2 comments:

  1. Me either. I love the little weirdos, even on days their brains are all muddled up in hormone soup. They are still wonderful and endlessly entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    I am glad that you choose to be a middle grades teacher.

    Middle School Students: During same day they go through wide range of emotions - to be treated with kids gloves and respect their independence. They are the absolute best.

    Best wishes.

    Purviben
    @TrivediZiemba

    ReplyDelete