Saturday, March 10, 2018

Becoming Aware




I have been reading a lot lately about students mirroring the attitude of their teachers.  In a teaching world or learning world where there are increased and new stressors on teachers, this makes for a lot of stressed kids.

Teachers are, on top of the regular stressors of standards, tests, and evaluations,...having to deal with the safety of our students.  This is new and confusing.  This makes the teaching environment feel very different.

How can we, as teachers, make sure that we are not giving out stress to our students through our attitudes or facial expression?

My students read me.  I cannot hide my stress, anger, or frustration.  They know when I am having a rough day.  They come up to me and ask me if I am okay.  Some days, they come out and ask me to smile.  It makes them feel better.  It makes them feel safer.  It makes them feel happier.  It relieves their stress.

Although I cannot hide my stress or emotions, I can become more aware of them and do something about them in the moment.  I am too real to lie.  Even if I tried, my kids would see right through the lie.

If I can stay aware of my feelings, I can stay aware of the vibe that I am giving to my students.  It is that important!

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites

3 comments:

  1. Mark,

    An excellent observation.

    You must have a very good rapport with your students that they feel comfortable coming to you and ask you to smile. Having good relationship is first step toward meaningful education, ya?

    Keep sharing .

    Best wishes.

    Purviben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do tend to have connections with my students. They mean the world to me. Thank you so much for reading my blog and offering kind words. Mark

      Delete
  2. Right on Mark! This is why our attitudes and body language can be huge difference makers.

    ReplyDelete