Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Student Bathroom Schedule




One of the untold stories of being a student is the bathroom schedule.  In our school, students get a certain amount of bathroom passes each quarter in which they use to go to the bathroom, visit the library or nurse, or go to the front office.

One of my students ran out of bathroom passes today. Maybe for the year?

I have him in my last class of the day.  He is a great honors student. He is very responsible.

This student has used the bathroom at the beginning of my class for most of the year.  He is quick and quiet about it.  As he left my class today he said, "I have no idea what to do from this point on.  My body has become accustomed to moving my bowels at this time every day. I have a schedule.  My body is not into negotiating and I am not sure how it will respond to the changes."

I assured him that we could work something out.  I don't want him to explode or worse, have an accident.

Most work environments allow for bathroom breaks as we need them.  Teachers and students alike have to train their bodies to work on a bell schedule and also, take into account the time that we are closest to the bathroom. (My room is across from the student bathrooms)

A not-so-known fact:  Teachers have to train themselves, as do students, after the long summer break.  Each new year, we have to figure out the best times to use the bathroom and train our bodies.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


1 comment:

  1. Love the quote from the Kiddo. Ugh to bathroom passes. And double ugh to running out of them.

    ReplyDelete