Monday, March 12, 2018

Painful Silence





When giving long tests in my class, I am very vigilant, going around and making sure everyone has what they need.  After that, I feel like I am pestering my students.  The last thing that I want to be is a distraction. 
The reality is…I get bored.

I am so used to a not-so quiet class.  I thrive on student interaction.  Instead, on long test days, I am bound to my desk, looking for grading or sorting that has to be done.  I am met by the symphony of sniffles around the class.  It is all too un-nerving for me.  I need the dance of learning.

When it comes to assessments that I write, they are often very different from these long-silent tests. Very often, there is some type of component where students share, or even, the assessment is done in pairs or small groups.
I guess I am not one of those teachers who appreciate silence in the classroom. My students don’t sit in rows, they sit in table groups. We do pair work daily. Students often have “out of their seats” work.  Students are reflecting and debating, comparing and contrasting, conferencing and guiding-all out of their assigned seats.
The movement, when students are in charge of their own learning is NOT quiet. It is invigorating!  It is exciting!  When this is the case, you can feel and hear the learning happening.
So, today I will suffer through the silence.  Tomorrow, I will enjoy the learning.
Be Mindful.
Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites



1 comment:

  1. I am always suspicious of quiet classrooms. Mine were generally like yours. They had the buzz of students learning. I did find students who wanted quiet at times and we would find them a place to work where the noise wouldn't distract them. But for the most part, quiet was not part of my room

    ReplyDelete