Friday, March 2, 2018

Experiencing Life




Tonight, I embark on my 15 school trip to Washington, D.C. with several dozen 8th grade students.  This is the type of trip that most, if not all, student remember their entire lives.

They remember the friendships made or solidified during the trip. Some remember it as their first ride in an airplane, or first time away from their parents.

Most remember the Holocaust Museum and the feelings that they left with.  New travelers remember the incredible Smithsonian for African American Culture which opened last year.

I remember the sites quite well.  I remember some of the guides and driver.  What I remember most are the students. Their reactions to things that they see and experience.  But most of all, I remember the ways in which they took care of each other...watching out for each other on the trip. It has always been amazing.

Tonight, will be my last trip.

We all get to that point where age or health becomes a bit of a hinderance.  The 12-miles walks each day get to me.  The 3 hours of sleep a night takes its toll on me.  The being solely and completely responsible for 25-45 human lives is taxing.

It is time.

Yes, I will miss it.  I will make the most of my last trip. I will not be watching the sites this time.  I will be watching the faces of the students.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine
@LevineWrites


1 comment:

  1. First, I admire anyone that takes students on any kind of trip for days at a time. Wowza. And, you're right. Only you know when it's really time to pass the torch for this onto someone else. But enjoy this one. It will be bittersweet, but wonderful.

    ReplyDelete