Thursday, March 22, 2018

Being a Teacher




A few days ago, I got an email from a past student.  She explained that she is finishing her student teaching and is excited to begin her teaching career.

I had not heard from her in a few years.  I had no idea that she wanted to be a teacher.  When I asked her how and why she decided to go into teaching, she responded,

"You were such an amazing teacher. You showed joy in what you did everyday.  I had forgotten that this was a job for you when I had you.  You made it seem like this was just you doing what it is that you were meant to do.  You cared for your students like no other teacher that I have ever had. You taught us about social studies in a way that made us look at the world more critically.  Most importantly, you taught us about life.  You taught us to accept ourselves and be happy with who we were."

Needless to say, this was another day of happy tears and appreciation.

Being a teacher isn't a job.  Being a teacher allows us to be so much for and to our students.  I make joke around a lot in class, but I take my intentions very seriously!

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful slice, Mark. I can only imagine how this input and reflection from your former student made you feel. And I believe the ultimate compliment is when our students are inspired to become teachers themselves. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    What a beautiful complement! You inspire her to be a teacher. I like the way you are declaring Being a Teacher is NOT what I do, Being a Teacher is Who I Am.

    Best wishes.

    Hoping to learn from you each day.

    Purviben
    @trivediZiemba

    ReplyDelete