Friday, March 23, 2018

Influencing Growth




During this time of year, I start reflecting on what I did well and what I might change for next year.  I look around my classroom and reflectively assess myself through my students.

I am always amazed at this time of year.  My students change so much during the course of a year.  One of the most interesting part about teaching Middle School.  The students change physically, emotionally, academically, and socially.  They are different beings by the end of the year.

My 7th graders no longer look or act like little kids, the little kids that started the year.

My 8th graders look like young adults.  They look and act more mature, ready to take on the world.

The amazing part is that I get to witness this every year.

The even more amazing part of this is that I get to be a part of their growth.  I get to know them while this process is in full swing.

This is also quite a responsibility.  We, as teachers, cannot take for granted the massive and essential impact that we have on these growing humans.  We are their influence.  Sometimes, there most significant influence. We must take this seriously, but we also must enjoy it.

It is who we are.  We are educators.  We are teachers.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


1 comment:

  1. Mark,

    It is amazing how they change in such a short time, ya?

    Some of them go from being childlike to mature, responsible people like there is a light switch flipped. What a wonderful way to spend life nurturing the youth.

    Best wishes.

    Purviben
    @TrivediZiemba

    ReplyDelete