Saturday, March 24, 2018

Self-Study




I tried something interesting this week.  While teaching, I looked for me in my students.  I looked for the student that was me when I was in 7th grade.  I am extremely reflective and I thought it would be fun and interesting to do a silent study on the student that is most like me (according to my perspective and memory as possible).

When I figured out which of my 171 students was me, I paid very close attention to the ways in which this student learns, behaves, emotes, and work ethic.

This is only the first week.  This is an ongoing experiment.  And...Observation.

This is what I am noticing so far:

This student cares about grades.

This student looks for approval.

This student prefers silent work.

This student prefers independent work.

What do I hope to do with this research?

I want to know my learners better.  If I can know them as I know myself, and pay attention to differences, I should be able to best reach all of my learners.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


4 comments:

  1. How interesting to look at your students through the lens of your own student life. I might just try this, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    How are you reaching this student?

    Keep us updated about your connection experience.

    Best wishes.

    Purivben
    http://trivediziemba.edublogs.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi- I plan on writing more as the process continues. At this point, I am simply observing the student as if she we me, or I was her. I want to get a handle on what works with her and why it worked with me. Mark

      Delete