Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Giving Consequences Due




I wrote a discipline referral to the dean's office today. I hate writing these. I do not usually let things get to the pint of consequences such as detentions, etc.  This was my 14th referral in 17 years...and it hurts.

The students blatantly defied my in front of her peers. She has not been herself lately and has slipping academically.  I truly think this might be hurting or bothering me more than it is bothering her.  I had no choice.

I like to deal with things immediately and directly with students.  Usually, I don't even need to get parents involved.  My students respect me, and I respect them.

But this time, this student needed to be woken up to where she was headed.  After reflecting with the Dean, I came to the conclusion that not writing the referral was worse than writing it.  Sometimes students truly need to be stopped in their tracks  so they can reflect on the negative choices that they are in the middle of...

I know this student will be angry with me for a while.  I know this will hurt me as well, for a while.

Yes...I am a softy.  No, I do not like to be taken advantage of.  Yes, I care about my students. Yes, I am willing to show I care by giving the consequences deserved.

It still hurts.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


5 comments:

  1. I don't think you are a softy at all. A softy would look the other way, letting the student's behavior go unchecked. It sounds like you are more than fair and are teaching important life lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the confidence and kind words.

      Delete
  2. Not a softy. A teacher who is most concerned with students' well-being. Sometimes it's necessary to give students a wake-up call, and in spite of your feeling bad about it, it looks like you put plenty of thought into your action. Students can tell when discipline comes from a place of love and concern versus vengeance and anger. The student might be angry, but they will eventually come around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the confidence and kind words.

      Delete
    2. Mark,

      You exemplify a teacher who care by being firm and fair.

      I hope the young lady whom you wrote discipline referral for is getting the help she needs to deal with whatever is the root of her slide.

      Best wishes.

      Purviben
      @TrivediZiemba

      Delete