Sunday, June 17, 2018

What is Mindful Literacy?




The name of my blog is Mindfulliteracy.  I would like to take the opportunity to explain what I mean by Mindful Literacy...since I have posted over 160 blog posts with that tag.

Mindfullness is the idea that we are in focus and intentional in our world.  We only allow what is in front of us to matter to the mind.  We notice the distractions and stressors in life, but we release them without emotionally attaching to them.  We, more or less, simply wave high to them, and then get back to our focus.

Mindlessness is the opposite.  It is when we are simply going through the motions letting life lead us as opposed to us intentionally leading our lives.

The Literacy part is steeped in what we educationally know as literacy, but I take creative license and expand it to mean a bit more than reading and writing.  First, I include thinking.  I believe that we cannot have efficient reading and writing without intentional thought.  Next, I include the act and art of "being."  This is just being human within our world.  We are connected and have our lives.  We made decision and have relationships that shape who we are.  This, too, is at the heart of learning.  Also, literacy reflects life.  It is the act and art of living through choice.  Instead of being mindless in our day-to-day life, we are taking the time to reflect and live how we want to live.

For those of you who have chosen to take a peak at what I am building here, thank you.  I hope this makes sense and even provokes you to visit more often.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment