Sunday, June 24, 2018

A Helping Nature




On my walk today, in a renewed mission to get healthy, I saw a bird that didn't seem to be able to fly.  As I got closer, I noticed that it was caught in the netting that usually is part of a roll of grass patch, put there to keep the seeds and fertilizer together. 

The bird, a sparrow had the netting around its neck.  I had to do something.  I am not sure if he or she would be able to eventually be able to work themselves out of being caught.  I walked closer to the bird and it hesitantly looked at me as if to say, "I would really love some help, but I am not sure if I trust you."

I went for it.  I gently pulled on the netting to see how the bird was caught.  It was clearly around the bird's neck.  As I moved the netting, the bird softly nipped at me once, but there seemed to be no fear after that.  I lifted the netting.  The bird moved its head around checking to see if it was in fact, free.  It looked at me and flew away.

I was left with a few questions.

Would others had stopped to help this bird?

Would others had left the bird thinking, poor bird, but not my problem?

Would others put their fears before helping the bird?

I also wondered...

Would those who would have stopped to help the bird, also stop to help a person in need?

What motivates us to stop or to move on?

What lines or boundaries to we create that makes the decisions about when or if we might stop to help a fellow human?

For me, helping others is in my nature.  I admit, sometimes I may have allowed helping others or animals put me in a potential of harm, but...I continue to be that person because it is who I am.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment