Friday, June 8, 2018

Dad's gift




I am struggling with what to give my father for Father's day. 

He has anything and everything that he might need or want.  He is older, and has very few hobbies if any.  The last 100 or so gifts that I have got for him have ended up on a shelf in his closet (unless they were edible) or he eventually gave them back to me forgetting that I was the one that gave it to him in the first place.

I have been, for many years, getting him something just to get him something.  I am really not into that anymore.

My wife, who can help me to reflect, offered the idea of getting him an experience.  I love this idea.  My father cannot put the experience on a shelf.  He can't give it back to me.  I get to have the experience with him.  And best of all, I get to see him enjoy himself.  Okay-maybe then the gift is for me, but it is something that means much more to me than giving him another 5-pound bag of Root beer barrel candies.

Gift giving is hard...especially when you really want it to mean something and not be a motion of good will.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment