Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Learning in the Summer




So...I did a thing today.  At the end of the school year, I was able to find out who will be in my classes next school year.  At the end of the year, I signed them all up to their new Google Classrooms and asked them to check in the last week of school.

I created a voluntary Social Studies/Literacy Summer Boot Camp.  I am hosting it every two weeks for the entire summer.  I have invited my 7th grade honors students to come in for a 10a-12p session and my 8th grade honors students to come in for a 12p-2p session.

It was a success!  I didn't expect a ton of kids to come in, but...I was able to get 13 students to break from their summer time to come in and learn with me!  I am so proud of them.  We did intensive historical analysis with primary and secondary sources while practicing more than 6 literacy standards.

What is more exciting?  More students have signed up for the next session in 2-weeks!

This taught me a lot about my students.

* They like school.

* They like learning.

* My teaching engages them.

* I am worth giving up 2 hours of their break for Learning!

Feeling great!

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites



1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking about doing a boot camp of sorts for my students. Glad this went well. I think I could do something like this 10-12 for one group and 12-2 for the other.

    ReplyDelete