Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Quiet Mind




The dogs are sleeping, my wife is out of town, the World Cup game just ended and it it quiet.  Silent.

I may be weird, but sometimes, not always...I really enjoy sitting in silence.  I tend to hear my mind better in silence.  I hear my emotions, my wishes, and my self-expectations.  They are often quiet, but they are there if you listen with unimpeded quiet.

Quiet is different for people.  One might find their quiet at a loud concert.  Another might find their quiet playing golf.  I used to find my quiet fishing by myself along rivers away from traffic noise, lawn mowers, and people.  When I heard a raccoon or bird, they just became part of my quiet.

I think we all need our version of quiet at times.  It helps us to get back in touch we ourselves and who we are.  For me, it is a time I can ask myself, "What do I need from myself...now, and in the future?"

Quiet can also mean a stillness of mind.  When I meditate, I often ask myself for quiet.  This would be to say that I am asking for my mind to let go of the thoughts and concerns that fly around in my mind and simply become present in the moment.  This is my favorite kind of quiet.  This can be done anytime, anywhere.

Being quiet and being IN quiet takes practice.  But...I feel it is one of the nicest gifts that you can give to yourself.  Be patient.  Be Quiet.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


3 comments:

  1. I am right there with you. I find my quiet mist often in the car — no radio— but also find that I can’t have the TV on during the day. I like the solitude and it helps me do my best thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same. I can maintain my energy more easily if I have adequate times of quiet solitude. Like Jennifer, that means no television, radio, or any other man-made distractions. Without those moments to recharge, I find myself utterly exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such powerful lines: "Being quiet and being IN quiet takes practice. But...I feel it is one of the nicest gifts that you can give to yourself. Be patient. Be Quiet." I am writing them in my notebook today as a reminder to myself to practice this more!

    ReplyDelete