Tuesday, May 29, 2018

What If I wasn't evaluated?




As I closed my classroom door for the last time this school year, I was reminded by a peer that we will go through evaluation cycles next school year.  I am not one of those who puts on a show, or worries about them.  In fact, my philosophy has always been, come in anytime...if I am not doing well everyday, I am not where I should be.  Every day is intended to be a perfect lesson with massive engagement!

On my way home, in keeping with my new theme of What-Ifs, I wondered...

What If I was never evaluated again?  What might change?

Right away, I started thinking about when I ask students to grade themselves...how they are SO much harder on themselves than I might be.

I am a very reflective person and educator.  I think that not being evaluated would cause me to become that much more reflective. 

I might actually become more intentional in the use of my data. 

I might video tape my teaching and become more critical of the moments lost in class. 

I might spend more time watching others teach and look for hidden gems.

I might see an increase in my own growth!

After looking at this list, I realized that these would be very powerful for me.  I also realized that I can do these things even though I AM being evaluated.

Did I mention that I am a reflective person?

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


2 comments:

  1. I actually went through a couple of administrators who didn't evaluate me. One faked it. And just like you imagine, I was much more reflective because of it. I began writing myself notes at the end of the day--what worked, what didn't. I studied data more. I read more professionally. I have to say, not being evaluated made me a better teacher :)

    ReplyDelete