Wednesday, May 2, 2018

I joined to belong




Every Spring, my students complain that their track meets keep on getting cancelled.  Our track program has as many as 30% of our student body involved...it is great!  But...the timing is terrible due to the weather.  It is often too cold or raining, or there are terrible storm warnings.

I had a student come to me today for his daily, "hello" in the hallway.

I asked him if he is ready for his track meet and he said he thinks it might be cancelled due to the weather.

I told him how sorry I was...as it seemed like he was looking forward to it.

His response was wonderful...

" You know Mr. Levine, both of my sisters were on track in Middle School, High School, and College.  They always complained about their meets being cancelled.  I really don't like track and I hate running.  I only joined to be part of the team.  I knew that most of the meets would be cancelled and I wouldn't have to run a lot."

I laughed.  I fist bumped him.  I smiled and told him to enjoy his day.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine


#Mindfulliteracy
@Levinewrites


No comments:

Post a Comment