Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Ingredients for a great teacher




My 7th grade students (and the rest of the building) get to experience their next year's schedule and meet their next year's teachers tomorrow.  I wanted them to go into the day with expectations, not judgement.  After talking to them about giving each teacher a chance to show how great they are, I asked them a relatively simple question that got some amazing answers...

"What makes a teacher a GREAT teacher?"

The responses were as follows:

A teacher that uses humor.

An engaging teacher.

A teacher that is firm, but fair.

A teacher that really cares for their students and doesn't fake it.

A teacher that wants us to succeed, but doesn't over-push us to failure.

A teacher that understands that sometimes we have bad days.

A teacher who really knows their stuff without looking at a book.

A teacher that can tell that we are bored and does something about it.

As these answers were given, and I was recording them, I could not help but reflect on where I fit on this list.  I think I did pretty well, but I plan on keeping this list as a reminder of that kids are looking for in a Great teacher.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


1 comment:

  1. I notice that no one said a great teacher gives extra recess or doesn’t assign homework. 😃 Your kids KNOW what a great teacher is because you have modeled it for them all year. Congratulations on doing great work, Mark!

    ReplyDelete