Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Learn More




So, I decided to try something new this summer.  We do not have a summer school program, per se...so I decided to try to make one for my honors kids.  It would be completely voluntary. I would not be paid.  One day, 2 hours, every two weeks.  A total of 5 meetings.  10-hours.

I asked my 7th graders who I will have again next year, how many of you would come to at least 3-sessions (knowing there will be vacations, etc.)?  Over 60% of the class raised their hands.  55/60 said they would come to at least one class.

Even when I told them that we would work really hard on literacy skills in the content area...they seemed excited.

I am sure once summer begins, the real numbers will be less....but...how exciting. I was so proud of the kids and their enthusiasm to "learn more!"

Middle School kids, when engaged, and led to be thirsty to learn and grow...once they have a taste for it...can NOT be stopped.

I am looking forward to success... But, in my eyes, I have already realized it.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


2 comments:

  1. Learning is the natural state of humans. Teachers who are compassionate and engaged make all the difference for students. I feel better just knowing you are working with our nation's youth. Thank you for your inspired post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't let me sign in but this is @hayhurst3 (Jenn) :)

      Delete