Tuesday, May 15, 2018

I Wish I Had




Today was a day of students saying, "I wish I had..."

For some reason, today gave cause for my 8th grade students to reflect on their year, or on their entire middle school experience.  They dug deep into their truths and looked in the mirror.  Many were very happy and proud about what they have accomplished and the growth that they have made.  As well, many were reflectively disappointed.  They created mental lists of things that they wished that they did differently or better.

Where possible, I helped my students to reflect upon why they were feeling this way and what they can learn from it.

Most said that they were feeling this way due to it being the end of the school year.  Some said it was because they really let their grades and learning, attention, and engagement falter in the past four months.

Upon searching for what they can learn from the way that they are feeling... most came up with what one might expect...

Try harder

Stay focused

Take my education more seriously

Don't let the drama get in the way

The most interesting finding for many of my students was that they realized that they are older, more mature, and more ready to be reflective...so...this should not happen again.

I hope they are right!

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#MIndfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment