Monday, May 21, 2018

Home school options




I found out today that I have several students that have been told by their families that they will be home-schooled next year.  I found this interesting and looked into some of the reasons why.

I heard the following explanations...

My parents are worried about safety.

My parents need me home to watch the babies.

I got into too much trouble at school this year.

My parents don't like all of the testing.

We might move mid-year so my parents think this will be easier.

I have no friends, so what's the difference?

Needless to say, there are quite the array of reasons.  I am not sure how I feel about them all.  I am most concerned, for obvious reasons, for the last student.  I want to know if there is more to this story.

Some of these students will or should be going into High School, some into 8th grade.

I completed my conversation with each one by asking if they were planning on going to college.  Every one was very sure that they will be going on to a four year college and create a professional life for themselves.

After these conversations, I felt somewhat cheated.  Cheated out of their education.  I hope for the best.  I wish they saw the value of staying in our school or school system.  I realize it is not mine to question beyond what I already have. I look forward to hearing about their progress...

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment