Sunday, September 30, 2018

Learning from kids




I have noticed lately that the staff in my building seems to be more "together" than in the past.  There is a collective connection in my hallway of support between staff members.

What do I attribute this to?

As a building, we have a directive towards collective efficacy this year.  I really do not think that we have had enough valuable conversation about this yet to foster what I am experiencing.

So...?

I think we are reacting to the students.  I believe that our connective piece this year is due to the fact that our students are connected.  I feel that our students are bringing us together as they are more cohesive as a group.

Why do I say this?

I think our students are modeling caring for each other in the hallways and in classrooms which in turn is shifting our building culture (adults included).

What if this was true?

Staff learning from student modelling.  Staff feeding off of the caring nature of students.  Staff riding on the emotional backs of the connections of students.

If this is true, how do we capture this and perpetuate it?

Can staff collectively learn from students?

I think it is time that we do. We learn from our students on a daily basis.  I believe it is time for us to become more intentional in observing the connective behaviors of our students as humans and reflecting upon what we learn from them.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites
Related image

No comments:

Post a Comment