Monday, September 24, 2018

The Coasting Student




Now that we are over a month into the new school year, I am noting some trends that I can now spend some effort on correcting.  The first of these trends that I started with today is the "Coasting Student."

The Coasting Student:

This student is an expert at finding a way to do as little as possible.  They buy an entire wardrobe so they can blend into the paint color of the back wall.  They are quiet enough and able to look busy enough to go undetected for sometimes years at a time.  Somehow, they learn enough to stay at the lower end of good enough.

Do you have any students like this?

Yep, I thought so...

My students do their note-taking and writing on templates that I assign to them on Google Classroom on Docs.  This means, I can drop in and see their progress.  I can give instant feedback.  It is wonderful.  I can confer with as many students as I want to at the same time while they are working.  I can make comments, suggestions or give guidance in real time.

For those Coasting Students...I have been simply monitoring their "work"...I think calling it work might be a little bit generous.

Today, I brought around collections of their "work" as I sat down and let them know that this is not the way that I see learning happening in my class.  We went over their "work" for the past couple of weeks and made specific plans to create improvement.

I know these students might prefer that I wasn't so aware...but I am...for their own good.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites



No comments:

Post a Comment