Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Missing real connections




Every now and then I get an email or some type of connection from a past student that has wonderful news to report.  This week, I got an email from a past student that is a senior this year.  She is in the top 10 of her class and she got into the college of her dreams.

She explained to me that she has had some wonderful teachers in High School to this point, but her real connections with teachers that hold meaning to her were during her middle school experience.

I asked her for her theory on why this differences exist.

She came up with the following list.

High School Teachers...

Seem like they have no time for students.

Are more involved in sports at the school.

Take on other things that they get paid stipends for.

Have more of a life outside of school than my middle school teachers.

Do not connect with students.

Are just there to teach the material.

Have less personality than my middle school teachers.

Some of these surprised me, while others did not.  One thing is for sure...this list made me sad.  At the same time, I am so glad that my past student had the teachers that she had at middle school to influence her and become life-long connections for her.

Again, I am sure there are some great teachers at her high school.

Even though this list was about "them", I think I will reflect on this list to make sure that I am well aware that I do not ever fit any of these categories with or for my students.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#MIndfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment