Tuesday, September 25, 2018

No Politics




I am a history teacher.  I do not like politics.  Not at all.  Not in the very least.  One might say that politics stress me out and I would rather stay away from things that stress me.

As the divides in our country and on a local level due to politics continue, I am seeing the effects on my students.  Maybe it is indirectly, but it is there.  There is a level of stress and uneasiness that I have never encountered.  My students are probably reacting to family and community members talking and arguing, the mass media and social media displays that are so one sided and play one side of the truth to such an extreme that it is almost impossible to tell what is real anymore.

The word Propaganda came up today.  A new word for most of my students.  One of my students looked it up and the class all agreed that it is what we see daily on the news, commercials, and social media.

I had a hard time disagreeing with them.

Adults can (or can't) handle what is happening in our country, in our world, and locally...that doesn't mean that our kids can.  Even if they are unaware...they are still affected by the stress it all causes to ones that they love and care for.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment