Thursday, September 27, 2018

Mutual Respect




One of my classes has been a little frustrating to get started lately. I am not one to yell or rush to calling students out....or for that matter punishment.  This is a great group of students.

I sat down so I was at their level and ask them, "What are we going to do about this?"

This created a whole-class discussion where I simply sat and listened.  I only responded when I was directly addressed.  I allowed my students to problem solve in a respectful manner with each other.  After about 15-minutes, with no frustration or stress on my part, the class came up with some suggestions for me to consider.  They also owned their parts and made specific plans to change the beginning of class behaviors.

Did I teach them to do this?

Well...Kinda.

How?

I show them respect daily.

I do not talk down to or at my students, I talk with them.

I expect whole-class discussions during our learning.

I expect mutual respect.

I always offer choices.

I respect student opinions always.

I empower self-regulation in my students. 

I will consider their options and bring one to the table next time we meet.

The rest of the class went wonderfully.  There was no animosity, pouting, or hurt feelings.  Just mutual respect knowing what our roles were and our expectations for the class to be successful.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment