Friday, September 21, 2018

Student Compassion




Today, I wasn't feeling so good.  I had a scratchy throat, blocked ears, itchy eyes, a rough stomach, and it was hard to talk.  I felt weak and a bit of the chills.  I decided to push through.  I wanted to be with my students.  I wanted to keep the momentum going and the engagement that we have been working on so much since the start of the school year.

It was worth it.

We made wonderful progress in various aspects of our work.

But...

More importantly,

My students took great care of me.  They made me promise the day before to do my mini-lessons as a dramatic read today.  I just couldn't I was not up to it nor was my voice.  I couldn't bring myself to the silly actor place that we get to go as teachers.  I was barely hanging on as it was.

My students understood.  They didn't push it.  Not only that, but they took care of me in other ways.  They worked without me asking them to be quiet or to get back on task.  They asked others around them to stay quiet as they policed their peers in order to make sure I was okay.

Students are amazing in this way.

They can be frustrating at times.  They can be obnoxious at times.  They can be immature at times.

But...when you need them to be great, they are amazing!

Care about your students and the caring that you get back will be way more than you'd expect.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment