Friday, September 7, 2018

The art of Middle School drama




Yes, drama exists in Middle Schools in America.  It certainly exists in my world and in the middle school that I am lucky enough to call home.  It is almost a rite of passage.  It is part of growing up.  During my Adolescent Psychology courses, I remember these students being called "Marginal Man" in that they are truly lodged in the in-between.

These students are looking to belong.  They are trying on what they perceive as adult emotions and actions.  They are experimenting and seeing that happens when they ______.

I am finding that social media has made drama a new art form.  There as so many APPs to help facilitate the drama and even bullying. 

When I talk of drama, am I referring to teen girls?

Not entirely, but this week...definitely.

And with a gem called snapchat, the drama in amplified.

This gift of electronic bullying and drama allows middle school students to invest time and energy in an anonymous journey towards hurting others for the sake of their own self-worth.

Needless to say, this make me sad.  It makes me sad that the students that I am caring about daily are involving themselves in this cruelty.

What is the answer?  How is this solved?

Students that are confronted with empathy and awareness while seeing what their actions are honestly doing to others is a start.  When they become aware of the hurt and mindful of the cause and effects of their actions, they can begin to reflect on their behavior.

This is what I believe.  This is what I intend on proving to the students in my building and on my watch.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites

No comments:

Post a Comment