Monday, October 1, 2018

Today was Monday




Today was a Monday.  Other than by name...it wore its name proud.

My kids, all grades, all classes were wild today.  They were loud, unsettled, hard to get on task, hard to contain...

But...

NONE were disrespectful.

It is part of the world of teaching that there will be days that the students are simply off of the wall crazy and it is futile to try to exert too much frustration on attempts to cage them.  Sometimes...it is best just to join them.  This is especially true if they are jumping out of their skin and in terrific moods.

So...

I joined in.  I laughed.  I listened.  I joined in the silliness.

Maybe it is just what we all needed.  To break the stress.  To cut through the intensity of the work that we have been doing so far this year.  We made it strong to the first grading period with high expectations.  Sometimes, it is okay to be...to be where the kids need to be.

Will I need to make up for some lost time today?  Yes, so will the students.  I think, though, that we will all reflect on today and recognize the value of the day while we dig in next class and get back to the work.

Students often know what they need.  Sometimes, my students know what I need.  Being aware and being okay with it...is the magic!

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#MIndfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment