Saturday, September 22, 2018

A little Caring




I had a student come up to me this week and ask why they were not in my class.  I had to explain that I only teach a couple of 7th grade classes and I have no say in the students that end up in my class.

This student, a girl, has a long history of getting in trouble in school.  In fact, her siblings also have a history of getting in trouble on a regular basis.

I have been connecting with this students since the beginning of the year.  She doesn't know this, but I know her history.  I act as though I have no idea about her troubled past... Instead, I only have a little fun with her and let her know that she is valued and important.  I show her that I am glad that she chooses to come say hi to me and hang near me as I stand in the hallway in the morning and give fist-bumps and high-fives to the students passing by.

"Boy, you everyone's favorite...ain't you"

"I am not sure about that.  I am just happy to see all of these wonderful students and I want them all to have a great day, that's all."

It doesn't take much to help a troubled student to turn things around.  Sometimes, just reminding them that they matter and not bringing up a troubled past is enough to help a student turn things around.

What I do isn't magic.  I just care.  I just show a troubled student that they are worth my time and look for what is great about them.  I remind them daily.  This can make a huge difference in the mindset of many.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment