Friday, September 14, 2018

It's the weekend!





Approaching the weekend as a teacher is an interesting phenomenon.

I get excited for the weekend and look forward to the relaxing time and allowing myself to take care of myself.

Friday night

I sit in the yard, and get ready for dinner.  By now, I am so tired that I find myself falling asleep.  I want to go out, but...no way!  I go to sleep after taking care of a few chores, some writing, and a few errands here and there.  I am out like a light and have huge plans for Saturday.

Saturday

I try to wake early to catch English Premier League soccer on TV that starts at 5:30 am CST.  Most of the time...I roll over and fall asleep.  Then...it is errands and chores time.  I try to get most of them done so I could have less to do on Sunday.  I know Sunday is already pretty full and I would like another day with some Me Time.

Saturday night

I got most of what I wanted to get done, but as I am getting it done, I realize a million things that also need to be done.  The list continues to grow.  I look for some writing time and ways to get things done to lighten my load for Sunday.  It is late, and I am finally getting to sleep.

Sunday

My day begins with my writing group or "Church" as we like to call it.  It is my time to write, think, gossip, talk about how things are going in our classes (we all teach together).  This luxury take me until about 1 pm.  It is then home to immediately get started on school work with chores done during every break.  Before I know it, it is evening.

Sunday night

I do a little writing before the Twitter Chats begin.  I spend a little time on my three favorite shorter chats and then it is back to work for me.  I get my clothes ready for the week.  I am tired.  It is late.  It is time for an  audio book and dreams of an extra weekend day that rarely comes.  I wake up and hope it is still Sunday night... It is not.  It is time to get ready for the week.

So...If I were to multiply this by 4 or 5, we would be talking about my wife's weekend schedule.  I get exhausted thinking about hers so I will not attempt to explain her weekend teacher's schedule.

The thing is...

I get up on Monday, have my coffee, and the kids come in with energy.  I forget that I am tired.  I connect with the kids.  And...before you know it, it is Friday again.

Life flies by as a teacher.  Tired or not, I choose to be in the moment and enjoy each minute before there are no more.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment