Saturday, September 29, 2018

It's about who we are




A couple of days ago, I saw a graphic about the lasting effects that teachers have on students and that the impact goes far beyond the student as our impact on the student leads our students to impact others.

I was wondering if it might make a difference if my impact was intentional.  This is a rough question for me to reflect on.

I impact kids naturally, authentically, and genuinely because of who I am.  I do not have a plan of attack or make decisions to make a difference in the lives of my students....I don;' think anyone does. I believe it is who we are.  Either we impact students in positive ways or we don't.  It is more about how we care about students, share moments with them in the trenches of life, and how we are real with them when it counts the most.

I have seen many graphics about how students remember the way teachers made them feel far more than they remember specific learning that happened in class.  I can attest this this with my experiences many years ago as the teachers that made such a difference in my life gave me direction, whether they meant to or not.  Simply...because they cared.

I think being intentional about making a difference in the lives of our students is not about what we do or don't do...

It's about who we are as humans.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment