Wednesday, September 12, 2018

This IS the reason!




I spend almost every minute that I can in the hallways at our school, during passing periods.  I am there for a few reasons...

1.  I am there to be present in case someone is having a bad day and makes a bad decision.  I can help to intervene and be as proactive as possible.  There are very few fights in our building.  I attribute this to the active staff that keep a watch over things to make sure everyone is safe and having the best experience possible.  This is NOT the main reason that I am in the hallways.

2.  I am there to assist students with their lockers.  Sometimes they jam too much in their lockers and they get stuck.  I help them open their lockers...sometimes with a key, sometimes with a screwdriver.  This is NOT the main reason that I am in the hallways.

3.  I am in the hallways to create relationships with students that are not in my classes.  I am also there to keep my students smiling with fist bumps and high-fives, words of encouragement, and a big smile on my face.  I acknowledge every student in the hallway.  I want all students to know they are important and matter.  I want all students to feel connected and safe.  I want students to learn from hallway behaviors that relationships are essential to having the best days.  I want this to spread into all of the classrooms...not just mine.  This IS the main reason that I am in the hallways!

We are teachers not just to teach.  It is about the little things that we do in the in-between that matters as much, if not more than the instruction.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment