Thursday, April 26, 2018

Wasted Year




I had a student come to me today with an deflated look on their face.

I asked the student, "what's up?"

They went on about the following:

Mr. Levine.  I feel really bad that I am just now deciding to take this school year seriously.  I have great teachers that really care about me and they teach in a way that makes others want to learn. I have been a bad student this year and I am afraid to go on to 8th grade.  I think I didn't do enough with my work this year to grow like others have.  I really wasted this year and I feel like a loser because of it.

I'm really sorry, Mr. Levine.  There are less than five weeks of school left and I am scared.

I pulled up this student's grades and sat down next to her.  We looked at her performance and her growth since the start of the year.  We looked at her writing and her assessments.  We looked at her growth and how she really did learn this year...

I know she is now feeling that she could have done better this year with more self-motivation...but, I can now capitalize on the fact that she is ready to become more of a student and continue with this momentum next year.

She left my class feeling determined. 

It was a good day.


Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites



No comments:

Post a Comment