Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Sunny Dis-Engagement




Does the weather effect engagement in school?

Umm, yes it does.

Through the years, much like when I worked in the medical field or with law enforcement, I have seen various external forces at work with people.  For example, the full moon creates more crime and more ER visits. Some research shows this to be untrue, while other research...especially if you work in these fields certainly validates this thinking and looks to be true.

At school, in my classes (Middle School), when it is sunny and on the path towards Spring-Summer, students lose engagement.  Throw in a rainy day, a cloudy day, or even a mid-April snowfall and the engagement comes back.  It's magic.  Or...it is attention.

I know I feel better when the sun is shining.  I also know my mind wonders more when the sun is shining.  I tend to "summer daydream" when the sun shines while I am much more present when it is a gloomy, rainy day.

It happens to all of us.  It certainly makes sense that it happens to our kids.  This is especially true when the nice weather also represents drawing near the end of the school year.  Kids get excited about their summer...AND... the coming new year and new grade level.

To all of this, I am inspired to follow the kids' lead.  If it is sunny- let's daydream a little.  There will still be time for learning when we come back to reality.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment