Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Feeling Secure in Routine




"Mr. Levine, I don't like this week and last week.  I don't like having days when I don't have your class.  It makes me sad and I don't want to be sad."

This was a quote from one of my 7th grade students today as she caught me in the hall between classes.

We have been on a wacky schedule due to PARCC state testing for the past two weeks.  I have only been able to see some of my classes every other day.  It is a stretch from the daily routine for me and my students.

I really don't like when my students are feeling that something is off.  This student was feeling like her world was off kilter a bit.  That makes me sad...for her, and for all students that are going through this.  We cannot forget that for many of our students, school is their only place that they feel safe.  It is the place that they can count on food, warmth, and routine.  When we mess with any element of this...it leaves some of our students feeling uneasy.

Sure, it made my heart smile when she said that she misses my class.  Who wouldn't miss my class.  It is a caring, fun environment with so much learning going on that you can feel it.

But-

It made me sad that she missed my class to help her feel secure.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


1 comment:

  1. Mark,

    Your student's commnent speaks volume as your impact as an educator/ mentor on them as well as her educational experience.

    Best wishes.

    Purviben
    http://www.coolcatteacher.com/

    ReplyDelete