Friday, April 27, 2018

Somewhere to Turn




Not too long ago, a student approached me about her anxiety.  She explained that she can't talk to her parents about her anxiety because they are a major part of the anxiety itself (expectations).  She said that she talks to the school counselor, but she doesn't feel heard.

This student asked to stay after class and talk.  She explained her anxieties and issues with the adults in her life that do not seem to truly hear here when she expresses herself.  She finally explained that she had no other option than to come to me.  She said that she knew I would listen, because who I am and how I care about my students.

I listened to her....and she left me stuck.

I can't talk to her parents as she will get in trouble due to their style of communication and expectations.

I can't talk to the counselor because the student feels betrayed by them.

Being a teacher, sometimes means that you are put into a position of being stuck.  Caring and listening, with very little options other than to continue being there for the student.

I have a few possible options and outlets to refer her to...but in the meantime, I will be there for her as a sounding board to help her feel understood.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites

No comments:

Post a Comment