Sunday, April 15, 2018

Lonely Students




I always go out of my way to take care of the "lonely student."  This student is the one that usually sits alone when it is time to choose someone to work with.  They are quiet and seem content to work alone.  They are often the student with seemingly very few friends.

I have been spending some time reflecting on what I can do for these students.  Some are very good students, very responsible.  Some are lacking in many areas including academics and self-care.

I have noticed that these students, my students in 7th or 8th grade share one thing in common...they seem resilient.  They appear to let things bounce off of them easier and have thicker skin.  Maybe this is a front to their real sadness due to be lonely?  Maybe they are used to telling themselves that they are fine working alone and would rather be alone.

Or, Maybe they are the ones that are learning due to being alone that life isn't always easy and they can take care of themselves.  Maybe...they are getting lessons in life that the other students are missing due to having friends and feeling included and thus, are not seeing life as it truly can be.

I have been reading a lot lately about letting students fail to build those emotional "callouses" that will help them be more resilient in life.  I am not sure how I feel about this yet.

Do I want to take care of my kids and not see them hurt for them?  Or me?

I certainly do not like seeing students in any kind of pain, but it is growth that I really am looking to guide my students through.

Maybe the lonely students are on to something?

I need more reflective thinking on this...


Be Mindful.

Peace.

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for looking after and thinking about the lonely peeps. One time a teacher told me about my daughter, "I think she likes being a loner!"
    I replied, "Not really. She'd like to be included, to tell you the truth."
    I get involved with the lonely kids too. I think it's important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is... thanks for reading and the responses. I really appreciate your insights. Mark

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete