Thursday, December 13, 2018

The art of Zen




An old friend and colleague of mine came into my classroom today after school.  I had Zen music playing and he joked about it feeling like a place of meditation.  He was surprised when I explained to him that when my students are gone, or out of my classroom, I consider my classroom just that- a place of meditation.

I have been meditating seriously for over 28 years.  I have studied Zen and Buddhism for that long.  When I was a therapist, meditation was not only helpful in my coping, but it was also something that I taught to those with types of anxiety and depression.  When I became a teacher, it only made sense that I would continue or even increase my need for the art of meditation.

The type of meditation that I am talking about is really the art of finding center...becoming grounded.  It is about breathing and cleansing the mind to allow for continued interactions that are not tainted by stressors or negativity from times prior.  In other words, it allows me to make sure that I do not transfer frustration with one class or group of students to another.  It helps me when I am frustrated with peers or other adults, to clear my mind so I can be truly present with my students.

I have watched too many educators take out their anger, stress, and frustrations on students as misdirected anger. It wasn't the fault of the students that a teacher just had an argument with a peer or superior...but the students are present and thus in the line of fire and even though they don't deserve it, they pay the price for what happened before they even entered the classroom.

This is one of many reasons why I meditate at school. 

This practice is simple and quick.  I simply turn the lights down, put on relaxing and tranquil spa-like music, shut my eyes and breathe while completely clearing my mind.  Might sound too simple, but with practice, you would be surprised how much this simple practice can do for you...as it sure works for me.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment