Thursday, December 20, 2018

A Job




I noticed a meme on social media today with the following message-

Teaching is a job, NOT a lifestyle. 

Take time for yourself over winter break, the kids will be there waiting when you return.

I am not comfortable with this message.  Yes, I understand the idea of self-care and I certainly see and agree with the sentiment of taking care of ourselves so we can be our best for our kids with the needed energy.

But...

I do see teaching as a lifestyle.  I do not see teaching as a "Job" that one punches a clock and is on during working hours only.  I very much see teaching as being a teacher...24/7.  I see it as being who I am, not what I do.  Teaching is very much my life's work. It is what I think about, talk about, write about, and yes...dream about. (Some are nightmares, but most are dreams)

This idea of forgetting that you are a teacher and have students until you see them after break assumes that students don't matter to me.  I take issue with this.  These are not just students that I teach as a job...these are critical relationships that require an all-in approach to reach and nurture.

So...

Yes, I will take good care of myself over break.

No, I will not forget my kids.

Yes, I will do some thinking and planning while on break.

Yes, I will do some writing over break.

Yes, I will seek renewal and re-energize over the two weeks.

I don't have a job...at very least I have a passion within my career.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment