Friday, December 7, 2018

My Legacy




This is the time of year that I end up running into or hearing from past students.  My oldest students are now 32 years old.  Many have families and in fact, I will be teaching some of their kids next year.

I love catching up with my past students.  I love hearing what they are doing, what life has brought for them, and what they deem as important in their lives.  Most bring up my class and events that they recall from my classroom.  I often hear how they enjoyed my class, they enjoyed my teaching styles, and sometimes...how I have impacted their lives.

If I am honest, while I am talking to them, this is what is always on my mind....

"Did I impact your life at all?  Was my teaching holistic enough where you were able to learn about life and yourself, and not just social studies?"

I sometimes get the nerve to ask.  Most often, I just stand there and wonder.  If I am lucky, past students will offer this information to me without me asking.  As I reflect on this practice, the reality is...I just want to know that what I am doing is making a difference to as many people as possible.

We all consider and dream about our legacies.  I know what I want my legacy to be...I want to be remembered as a teacher who cared.  I want students to think of me as a person and not only as their teacher.  I want to matter in their lives.

As the holidays get closer and I am lucky enough to run into past students...I wonder what I will ask, or need.  I hope I have the courage to be open and honest with them.  I hope I can help them know that their opinions mean a lot to me.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment