Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Finals




Being a middle school teacher, I have never really experienced the concept of students taking finals...until this past week.  Our district tests that measure growth have become high stakes tests that act similar in fashion to a final exam.

What I have noticed...

Students are not ready for the stress.  My 7th and 8th graders are so stressed that they are wearing the stress physically.  They are crying.  They are throwing up.  They are reporting headaches.  They are afraid to find out the outcomes and their grades.

Also...

Teachers are stressed.  Not only do we have to fit all of these tests into the last few days of the first semester leading up to winter break, but for many of us, these tests represent our growth for our annual evaluations.  As well, we are stressed worry about our kids while our kids are stressed seeing us stressed.  It is a mess.  It all feels so unnecessary and almost cruel.  I am not sure if 11-14 year olds were cut out for this type of stress.  Or...middle school teachers for that matter.

I feel this need to help my students find some type of comfort as they go into winter break.  I am not saying that I want to show them movies or have parties, but I want to to feel positive and proud of the great work that most of them have done during this first semester.  They deserve it.

Instead, we are testing up to the last minute. No room to breathe.  No time to be sick or absent.  No breaks.  At least one test in each class for over a week...

What can I do?

I have tried my best to amp up the cheerleading.  I have increased the smiles, high-fives, and fist-bumps.  I have found absolutely any reason to celebrate them and their hard work.  I have been making sure they know that they are not in this alone and show them the importance of support.

We will get through this...and we are almost there...almost.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites

No comments:

Post a Comment