Friday, December 14, 2018

Audio Books = Self-Care




I have been in the mood to sit in a dimly lit room and listen to audiobooks lately.  I have not been a fan of TV for many years....with the exception of world soccer and educational programming.  I am finding that listening to audiobooks has a calming effect on me that I cannot replicate by simply reading myself.  Granted...the reader must meet my taste. 

I enjoy readers with accents. So far, my favorite accents are that of Irish narrators.  There are some readers that I can do without.  Those with a sloppy voice or ones that do a poor job at various characters.  For me, the reader is as important as the story itself...sometimes more so.

One problem that I have gotten myself into is that I get interested in a genre and I want to stay there.  I am actually within two genres right now...Ghost stories and Zen Buddhism.  I want to take a risk and check out other genres, but what if I don't like it?  I then would be missing out on something I know I would like.

Audiobooks are expensive.  I like Audible and belong to the monthly subscription.  I try to always have one or two credits waiting for me just in case there is the perfect book that shows up that I want to get immediately.  As these are about $15 - $25 each, I have yet to abandon an audiobook like I might do when I am reading one that I am not fond of.  For that reason, I have a dozen partially finished books in my Audible library.  Yes...I actually do go back and finish them.

So what?

The so what for me here is that I am enjoying that I have found this part of me to take care of.  This is a self-care measure that I am engaging in that I feel as if it is a gift to myself for dealing with the world on a day-to-day basis.

Self-care is important if we want to have a full cup in which we can continue to give to others.

I like this for me....for now.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment