Monday, December 17, 2018

Educational Nirvana




What if all students came to school interested and wanting to learn?


What if all students came to school motivated to do their best everyday?


What if all students were able to be in the moment with their learning for
each class allowing their focus to be close to 100%?


What if all students had the means to get to school each day unless they
were truly ill?


What if all students had strong relationships with their teachers allowing for a
caring and respectful environment?


What would this feel like?  What would this look like? What would it mean to
growth for the students?  What would it mean for the energy of the classroom?


I consider all of these questions when I problem solve for my classes and my
students.  I wonder what it would be like to have this “Educational Nirvana” and
I reflect on what is missing.  I also reflect on pieces that stand in the way of these
“what-ifs” that are out of the control of the students.


I have to admit that I kind of enjoy the challenges of each day not having these
what-ifs available to me.  I am not sure how bored I would be in a school environment
that would offer this Nirvana of sorts. I love problem solving.  This is NOT to say that
I am happy that students have all of these struggles and cannot usually come to school
with the best of these what-ifs...In this perfect world, I would certainly find new challenges
for me and my students.


I know that I currently help students to grow considerably more than one year’s
worth in a given school year.  Maybe if this perfect situation were to exist, the growth
would be more like three years of growth?


Well, the fact remains that reality exists….and things are not Nirvana.  They are
challenging for my students and for me. And...that is perfectly fine.  That is why
I teach- to be in the trenches with the students that need me the most.


Be Mindful.


Peace.


Mark Levine


#Mindfulliteracy

@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment