Sunday, December 2, 2018

Emotional Images




During the school year, Sunday nights are made for the deep planning for the week's lessons and thinking.  It is the time that I put aside to get my head into thinking about my students, how they will learn, and what might engage them based on what we are learning.

My 8th graders are learning about the Great Depression.  I love to engage with emotions.  When I can get my students to think through their feelings, I know that there will be rich discussion and an eagerness to learn more. 

Nothing gets the emotions going better than a single image.  It gets my students thinking immediately.  They start to notice the bigs things first.  Then, after the initial emotional response, they are on to looking at the details.  Ultimately, they want to know the story.

Tomorrow, my students will start with the image below.  I will say nothing...


Then I will ask my students what they wonder...

They will ask me questions quickly as their curiosity will get to them.  Most will wonder if this image is real.  Others will quickly chime in and give reasons for having to sell kids during the Great Depression.

This is only the introduction!

Yes...it gets better.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment