Friday, October 12, 2018

Riding their wave




My students were overwhelmed today.  They had just taken a high stakes test this week and I could tell that their heads were still swimming in the abyss as they were seemingly brain dead today.

There are so many tests.  My poor students sometimes have 4-6 of these types of tests in a week.  It is rough.  It would be rough for anyone...including the teachers.  But...we have no say in when or even that these tests are given. They are all district directed and tied to progress towards PARCC testing.

It is times like these that I make sure to take care of my students.  I make an intentional effort and choice to lighten the load, lighten the intensity of the lessons, and have some fun injected into the class time.

Also...it is Friday.  For some reason, Fridays of short weeks tends to be crazy days for my kids.  Always has been.  And since this was a four day week with Columbus Day...today lived up to its reputation for sure.

As time goes by, I am realizing more and more, the importance of taking care of my kids and allowing them the self-care that they ask for...directly or indirectly.  They spoke.  I listened.

Although today was an exhausting day, it was a good day.  It was a day to prepare for the weekend before we hit the grind hard again on Monday.

As I noted to a parent last night at a school event, I ride the waves of my students instead of making them all ride my wave.  I follow their needs.  Sometimes, that means taking a break.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment