Thursday, October 25, 2018

A steep mountain to climb




I walked down the hallway this morning as the kids came in saying, "You are the best students!" "Lukancic Middle School is the best!"  "Our students are the smartest!"

I want our students, all of our students to know this, believe this, live this.  I screamed this at the top of my lungs as I gave high-fives and fist-bumps.

I was met with surprising responses from almost 100% of our kids...

"No I'm not"

"No we're not"

"Yea, right"

"We wish"

"You are at the wrong school with the wrong students"

"You're funny"

I was devastated.  I still am.

A recent survey indicated that our students do not believe in themselves, but this...this was in my face.  It was real.  It was so much more than a survey.  This was groups of hundreds of students telling me in all sincerity, that they do not believe in themselves and do not see themselves or our school as great, smart, capable.

I am still in tears.

I am NOT okay with this.  No wonder my students struggle.  If they don't believe in themselves...if they do not have the confidence or self-efficacy...motivation to succeed is a steep mountain to climb.

I will do something about this.  This will change...as long as I am breathing, this will change.  My mind is racing with ideas.  My heart is aching to create a wave of change.  I am hopeful that my peers will join me, but even alone, I will not let this go.

Now that I am aware, this cannot be ignored.

Be Mindful.

Peace,

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment