Saturday, October 6, 2018

Reflection is a place of learning




So...I got back from a 3-day conference today.  As I reflected on what I got out of the conference, I realized that the answer was a more grounded me.

Sure I learned many ideas for the classroom.  I was given deep thinking and fodder for hours of thought on trauma in our students.  But...every session forced me to look in the mirror at my own teaching and more so...at me.

I enjoy these types of conferences for many reasons.  I get to see old friends, and new ones.  I get to network.  I get to present new ideas.  I get to learn various new tricks for the classroom.  But this one, for some reason...probably because where I am in life, with life, with the ways of the world and the universe, has hit me in a place that I have not found as of yet.

It is somewhere deep.  It has caused me tp consider things like my future in education, my retirement, and my writing.  I guess, it has caused me to reflect on my identity as these things all relate to who I was, am, and will be.

Reflection is such a place of learning.  It is a lot like a practice such as mindfulness and meditation.  It takes you places and with practice, out of the blue, it takes your soul somewhere new.

I am not sure where this place is just yet.

I am here and I am not sure how I feel about it.

I am not feeling positive or negative about it.

I am simply aware of it.

And because I get to be me, regardless of where I am...I will appreciate it with those that I love.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment