Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Intentional Word choice




I have always tried to be careful of my words with my students when it comes to being positive and helping their self-confidence about school.  After a meeting after school today, it was clearer than ever, that I want to be intentional about my word choice.

I want to help students feel great about their abilities.  I want them to feel wonderful about their efforts towards mastery and growth.  I want them to feel confident in their abilities.  I want my students to be honest in their self-reflections and self-assessments without being afraid of what they realize.  I want them to become problem solvers when it comes to recognizing areas of growth and methods to do this growth.

Words are so very powerful.  Yes...they can make or break our kids.  They can set a course towards success.  They can also derail possibilities.  We must meet our kids with care. With words that care.

As I reflect on my own words and my own message, I am led to recall a middle school teacher of mine.  He was the first and only teacher or person to show an interest in my learning.  He was the only one to ever lead me towards feeling proud of myself as a student.

I did not get this from home.  I did not ever get this again from anyone.  Just him in 7th and 8th grade.  This teacher gave me the Words...the words that helped me to become a student of confidence with direction.  His words were able to crush so many other words that were given to me by other teachers and held the power to crush negative words from those after him.

He has always been my Angel of Teaching.  He has led me to who I am today.

I will continue to cycle of careful and positive words, with intention and purpose, with love and patience.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


2 comments: